• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satonamba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Is it possible to post here or not ?
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm going to be honest, I was a little too harsh towards the last cour in hindsight. I was so confused by the potion at the end that I let it obscure the overall theme of the cour, which was Rudeus' trauma and overcoming it with Sylphy by this side, as well as the fact that everybody stayed in the same place more or less for 10 episodes. It's still a weird thing to add in the end, but it really was a cour that looked a lot better on the whole than on an episodic basis.

Even if he may be rushing into things with Sylphy, and outright buying a fixer-upper for her, it kind of makes sense when you realize he also lost his virginity at the age of 13 and has spent years largely having to fend for himself (alongside Eris) before settling down at the magic academy. He's being forced into adulthood due to the circumstances of his life and the world around him at a much faster than normal pace so this is an outcrop of that.

I also like how Rudeus is now becoming a man for others. He wants to provide for Sylphy, he wants to be there for Nananoshi (and yay, finally some more screen time for her!), and he's supportive to his two apprentices. Even the objectively weird moment of him carving out the red spot on his bedsheet and putting it in the Roxy altar says a lot -- it represents the two people that changed his life and what they gave him and his goal to return that favor. It's a really sweet first 3 episodes and shows that the writing can do these kind of strong, emotional character moments as good (if not better) than the big action/adventure scenes from cour 1.

Very happy to have it back.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Rudeus so good with a sword that he can beat a knight trained from a young age to be a bodyguard for royalty? Or did he cheat a bit using his future sight? It wasn't totally clear.

He doesn't have a ton of confidence as a swordsman, but he also trained with Ghilaine and Rujierd, and he watched Eris legit surpass him in skill quite quickly, so his idea of what skill level a "good swordsman" should be at is a bit skewed. He's quite competent, if not extremely exceptional, at sword fighting. Normally, I would chalk this up to lazy power fantasy writing (in fact, normally, I would chalk a lot of Mushoku Tensei to lazy power fantasy writing), but I've come to appreciate the subtleties in how Rudy's place in the world is built on the backs of the people he loves around him, and how he's had to struggle to navigate that tension as a former NEET instead.

Also, last cour had dips in writing quality, particularly around some of its problematic bits, but I found the second half of the arc genuinely refreshing. It starts off somewhat slow, but this is very calming in a good way. There is one more potentially problematic thing that will happen this cour, but at least it feels like it was handled with a bit more grace in the LN than the slavery and kidnapping incidents from last cour, so I'm not as upset about it. I look forward to the discussion in this thread. ^^
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
...There is one more potentially problematic thing that will happen this cour, but at least it feels like it was handled with a bit more grace in the LN than the slavery and kidnapping incidents from last cour, so I'm not as upset about it. I look forward to the discussion in this thread. ^^
Oh boy, and here I was glad that there wasn't any controvesial/very bad taste element on this three episodes -_-

On regards to the starting episodes, I have quite enjoyed then, spevially the most recent one. I'm not going to hide that overall I can't say last season was good, and Rudeus as a MC is tactitally problematic to say the least, but showing him mature bit by bit and learn on his experiences and the ones of others is solid character work.
freebird1994

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, for a second there i was like "wow, this forum already has over 900 posts in less than a day?" then i saw this was the same forum from last year. though this is mushoku tensei and it has rudy as a MC, so its not impossible discourse could reach 900+ in less than 24 hours
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Rudeus so good with a sword that he can beat a knight trained from a young age to be a bodyguard for royalty? Or did he cheat a bit using his future sight? It wasn't totally clear.

I was a little surprised Rudy handled Luke so easily. I assume he did use the eye, because why wouldn't he? However, I am reminded that Rudy really underestimates himself as a fighter, because he also underestimates Paul and Eris. When Rudy easily beat Linia (enough of a badass herself that she and Pursena had terrorized the entire school until the Princess got involved), he said "Maybe Paul and Eris were better than I thought." That's not an exact quote, I'm doing this from memory, but it was along those lines.

If Rudy doesn't think those two are particularly special--and they clearly are--then no wonder he tends to underestimate his own skills as a fighter, because he isn't nearly as good as they are. However, Rudy was at various times tutored by Paul, Sword King Ghislaine and Ruijerd, so while he might not be in Eris' class he is probably a lot better than most, even if his melee skills fall well short of his mage ones.

And since he got the eye, Rudy has at least once beaten both Eris and Paul (who admittedly was quite drunk at the time), so.....

Also, not in any way to excuse Rudy's behavior during "the kidnapping incident," but what Linia's people did to Rudy was worse than what he did to Linia. It's that kind of world, and we tend to judge stuff by a modern / first world perspective that is probably inappropriate to a world such as this one.

Last edited by Jabootu on Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah you have to remember who Rudy has been training with. He doesn't have much confidence in his sword skills but that's only because he only has truly exceptional people to compare himself with.

Meanwhile when it comes to magic there are few people who have ever surpassed him which range from people he has the utmost respect for and people he knows are absolute monsters.
SigTheSauceMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:15 pm Reply with quote
No idea why everyone is calling anything "filler." Filler is stuff that wasn't in the source material.

Anyways, Rudy and Sylphie definitely did not jump into marriage too quickly. It was already well-established that they were perfect for each other since long ago. And in the Six-Faced World, it seems pretty normal to marry at their age.

And Rudy definitely did not make any kind of mistake in buying the house without Sylphie's involvement. In that world, it's expected that the man already have a house before getting married.

And in regards to the Rudy vs. Luke duel, it's not fair to call it cheating by using his Demon Eye of Foresight. Fundamentally, the duel was "swordsman vs. mage (using a sword)." That Demon Eye was no different that Luke's entire outfit of top-level magical items. And ultimately, Luke was objectively just not a very high-level swordsman. He was Intermediate-level in Sword God Style, and Beginner in Water God Style. He wasn't even close to Paul's level, who was Advanced in all three forms.
Also now that I think of it, it's a wonder how they got by before Sylphie came along.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
A good start to the season. Nanahoshi breaking down was interesting to see, though I think they resolved it a bit quickly, but I guess if she was still like that at the start of a new arc (which I presume is coming) then she'd probably be left too long like that, so better shorter than longer.
As the (3rd) episode was going I was thinking they they'd have to make some kind of three dimentional magic array or take a sheet and start attaching extra pieces of paper to create raised levels to it, but I hadn't considered just something simple like placing multiple pages on top of each other Laughing Sometimes you just need a different perspective to see something simple you've overlooked.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Rudy and Sylphie transitioning into cute and comfortable domestic life together as a couple, highlighting both their love for each other as well as how much Rudy has grown as a person. But they really are quite adorable.

It was also interesting how Sylphie suggested she'd be open to a concubine if she ends up not being able to conceive, which is also basically admitting she would accept Rudy with another woman. Though Rudy says he only has eyes for her but he's also a Greyrat and we know what happened with his dad. Will he be able to stay faithful?

I did not have "Elinalise is Sylphie's grandma" on my bingo card for this show but it does make me even more fascinated by her character and what her life had been like up to this point. It seems like her curse and proclivities prevented her from having a proper family so she always had to raise and cut off her kids despite loving them (she remembered Sylphie's dads' name and his personality even after so long). And it also makes her relationship with Cliff, and his acceptance of who she is and what she's been through all the more poignant. Maybe Cliff can help her achieve the family she's been denied by her curse, especially now that she can be a proper grandmother (even if it means she's now related to Paul).

Zanoba is so diligent and earnest. Just don't insult good craftmanship in his presence. Also Julie is super adorable.

I feel like Rudy is definitely not done with Asuran nobility even if Ariel is accepting him having Sylphie at this point.

The OP basically gives it away that Rudy is going to reunite with his dad and Roxy to free Zenith but it's nice to see Roxy again. I would love to see hilarious interaction between her and Ruijerd!

Nanahoshi's breakdown, with Shion Wakayama's performance, was handled so well. Especially seeing her turn into what Rudy used to look like. But now he's matured enough to be there for someone, and show them the joys of living and accepting others into your life, and it seems like Nanahoshi is finally letting her mask down (both symbolically and literally) and making progress both socially and emotionally.

Norn and Aisha fight like sisters but only one of them adores their big brother...so far. I feel like managing his sisters will be a handful but first he has to reunite with an old friend...and Ruijerd is totally going to bring up Eris, huh?
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 am Reply with quote
I also believe the issue of Rudy and Sylphie getting married too soon is overstated. I get the idea that they could have gotten to know each other as adults a bit more. However, they had spent a pretty good amount of time together when Sylphie was Fitz. More to the point, again, people act like this is our world and time and often judge the characters and their actions by our standards. This is a world of magic and gods and monsters where disaster and death can come very suddenly. People *would* get married a lot younger than they do today (and it's not like delaying marriage makes it more successful in our present time--look at our divorce rate). Look at what these two have gone through. These are not children, as they might well be in modern society today.

Quote:
And in regards to the Rudy vs. Luke duel, it's not fair to call it cheating by using his Demon Eye of Foresight.

Especially since the entire purpose of the duel was to establish whether Rudy was strong enough to protect Sylphie if needs be. So obviously if she were ever in danger Rudy would use everything at his disposal to save her, including the Eye.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 am Reply with quote
Honestly, they sure take their marriage quickly. I expected a big celebration or something. Also, the scene of Rudeus spoils Julie was adorable and kinda proves social media was jumping the gun last year due to the comments about slavery.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The hymen blood enshrinement and incel fantasy undertones of Sylphie and Rudeus' romance neuters my ability to care about any of their scenes but otherwise the second and third episode were pretty enjoyable, though the depression mini arc with Nanahoshi felt kind of rushed.

Bug none of that matters because RUIJERD, MY BELOVED BEST BOY UNTAINTED BY RIFUJIN'S BS!!!! I've also been looking forward to Norn's return.
Satonamba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
For this "epilogue", between the house, the puppet, Paul's letter and Nanahoshi's research, the events follow one another efficiently and allow the characters of Zonoba, Elinalise and Nanahoshi to develop. The cast is still a bit bloated but things seem to be moving forward. However, the presence of Bagibadi is hard to include in the group.

I expect a little more adventure and action in the future because the magic academy arc and this epilogue are more in the slice-of-life genre. It's enjoyable to watch but I remain more interested in the journey and adventures of the series. The opening hints at a return to a more action oriented arc, so wait and see.

Concerning episode 15, it was nice to see Rudeus having more personal interests in those around him (outside of Sylphy) and act accordingly. What was strange is that without his internal thoughts which generally add a layer of selfishness or mental gymnastics to justify his actions, he appears almost honest. The goal was perhaps to show that his marriage to Sylphy had brought him a form of balance or that he is more connected to his current state, but it was quite sudden. I suppose this aspect won't last long and will lead to another mental problem later because his mental instability has always been an important aspect of the story.
Telu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Rudeus never used his demon eye, Luke is just not that good, Rudeus is by far more competent as a sword user than Luke thanks to training with: Paul (S-Rank adventurer) - Ghislaine (King-Rank) and Ruijerd (Emperor-Rank).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 63 of 66